Community Showers Love on Alsup Family
Benefit Dinner, Auction Is Saturday
by Nathan Gomillion
There are many benefits to living in a small town. One being, when there is a need, a community of caring individuals and organizations spring into action to offer whatever assistance they can. This is what the Alsup family understands more than most as the Giles community comes together to hold a fund-raiser for the family in their time of need.
The Alsup family recently went through physical and emotional pain after being involved in a vehicular accident Dec. 15, 2019, in Mississippi. The accident claimed the life of father, Curt Alsup, and caused severe injuries to wife, Angie, and two of their children, Harley Grace and Marshal.
According to family friend Matthew Orgeron, the list of injuries to the surviving family members was extensive, ranging from a concussion to a broken jaw, back and neck.
With severe injuries and an inability to work, hospital bills partnered with the cost of living quickly became a huge hurdle. This is when family friends and community leaders found a way to give back to the Alsups in their time of need.
“We wanted to give back,” family friend and event leader Angie Edde said. “Curt and Angie have given so much to the community when anything was happening. It just felt like the best way for us to serve them was to take care of the family and take that burden off of them.”
With the help of local businesses and caring individuals, enough items and volunteer work was donated to create the Alsup Family Benefit Dinner and Auction, a fund-raising event for the Alsup family to offset some of the financial burden that is currently on the family.
The benefit will take place Saturday, Jan. 11, at the Giles County High School Cafeteria from 4-7 p.m. To kick the event off, attendees will get a delicious plate of food including hamburger steak, baked potato and a salad. Homemade desserts will be available for purchase at a baked goods sale. An auction will also take place during the dinner, starting at 5 p.m., in which participants can bid on a wide assortment of items such as gift certificates to local businesses, tools, car accessories, clothing, hand-made items and much more.
Tickets for the Alsup Family Dinner and Auction are $12 and can be purchased, while available, at the Pulaski Water and Gas Department, First National Bank-Industrial Park Branch, Hair Gallery, Natalie Oakley at the Courthouse Circuit Court Clerk’s office and Bank of Frankewing, Pulaski or Frankewing branches.
In addition to the dinner and auction benefit, a giveaway of items and services collectively worth more than $2,100, donated by local businesses, will be given away to one lucky ticket holder. The tickets for the giveaway are purchased separately and can be found for $5 each at any of the participating vendors. The lucky recipient of the giveaway will be drawn during the Alsup Family Dinner and Auction, and the winner does not have to be present to win. Vendors and donated items include:
• AGO Photography — One hour Photo Session valued at $225.
• C&C Printing — Prints from the AGO Photography session on a 16×20 canvas and an 18×20 Aluminum print valued at $100.
• Owens Family & Cosmetic Dentistry — Bleaching Trays and a Sonicare Electric Toothbrush valued at $519.
• Pulaski Citizen and Holley’s Printing — Three different 12×18 Courthouse Pictures on max metal, a one-year subscription to the PULASKI CITIZEN, books: “A Page From the Past,” “Early History of Giles County,” “George Martin’s WKSR Story,” “Sam Davis,” “The Romine Family” and Discover Giles magazine volumes 2 and 3, valued at $205.
• Statemint Studios — $100 In-Store Gift Card and a Snakeskin Weekender Bag packed with store merchandise, valued at $250.
• Brownlow Paint and Body Shop — Car Detail including vacuum, wash and wax, valued at $50.
• The Outlook — $150 Merchandise Giveaway.
• Leslie Curtis Jewelry — Handmade Jewelry, valued at $40.
• Lew Lew’s — $200 In-Store Gift Card.
• Jay Aymett — $50 CO-OP Gift Card.
• Studio Sloan — $100 Giveaway of high-end beauty products.
• Ahead of Times — Tanning Package, Pedicure, Candle and lotion, valued at $120.
• General Supply Corp / ACE Hardware — $100 In-Store Gift Card.
Additional details about the Alsup Benefit Dinner and Auction, Bake Sale and Giveaway are available on the official “WeALSUPort” Facebook Page. All proceeds from the Benefit will go to the Alsup family.
“Our community is amazing,” Orgeron said of the help received in fund-raising. “It has given me the absolute thrill of my life to say that I am from Giles County because we do rally around each other so well. It makes you proud to be from a small town … The outcry of support of people wanting to help and give back to this family in need is phenomenal. It has made the work easy to do.”
Support from countless members of the community helped make this event happen, and it rarely goes unnoticed.
“When something bad happens in this community and this community hears what is going on, this is the best community that you could ask for,” Edde said. “People want to help and it just makes my heart smile. We want to make sure the community knows how much they [Alsup family] appreciate the support and love they are getting at this time.”