Attempted Murder Case Goes to Grand Jury

Cameron Wayne Curtis is escorted from the Giles County Courthouse following a March 8 preliminary hearing in which his case was bound over to the Grand Jury.   Trea Dunnavant / Pulaski Citizen


The case against a Goodspring man accused of attacking his mother with a hatchet has been bound over to the Giles County Grand Jury.


After hearing testimony March 8 from the defendant’s wife, Chasity Curtis, and Giles County Sheriff’s Department Investigator Lt. Shane Hunter, Giles County General Sessions Judge Chip Richardson found probable cause to send the case against Cameron Wayne Curtis to the grand jury.


As previously reported in the PULASKI CITIZEN, Cameron Curtis, 26, is charged with the attempted first-degree murder and aggravated assault of his mother, Neva Curtis.


Curtis is accused of attempting to kill his mother by striking her in the head multiple times with a hatchet Feb. 28.


According to the testimony of Lt. Hunter, he was working on a completely different case when he was called by Chief Deputy Tommy Chapman to the 1680 Oak Grove Road crime scene of an attempted murder case.


Hunter said deputies had gathered some information from the victim, but he was allowed by Giles EMS Director Roy Griggs to take a quick dying declaration from Neva Curtis as her injuries were severe and critical. She was then transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.


After securing the scene and obtaining a search warrant, Hunter said he and deputies then began to process and document the crime scene, obtaining a hatchet that had hair and blood on it, a roofing hammer, a shotgun in the kitchen with a breached hull inside and a 12-gauge shotgun round. Neva Curtis had been moved by EMS from the dining room area of the house earlier, where a puddle of blood and pieces of skull and hair were found by investigators, Hunter said.


According to conversations with the victim at the scene, prior to the incident inside the home, Cameron Curtis assaulted his mother by strangulation in the yard, Hunter said.


Hunter testified that Neva Curtis said during the course of the attempted murder, her son held a gun to her head and said he did not know if he was going to kill her quickly or slowly. According to Hunter, Neva said Cameron Curtis then proceeded to hit her in the head with the hatchet.


Hunter testified that Neva Curtis sustained severe injuries to the head, which are expected to necessitate several reconstructive surgeries and extensive therapy.


In addition to sending the case to the grand jury, Richardson set Cameron Curtis’ bond at $750,000. He remains in the Giles County Jail.


Read more of this story, including complete details from the testimonies of Lt. Hunter and Curtis’ wife Chasity Curtis, in this week’s edition of the PULASKI CITIZEN, available in markets across Giles County and in digital and traditional newspaper formats by subscription.


Subscribe to the traditional newspaper edition of the PULASKI CITIZEN and/or the PULASKI CITIZEN digital edition by calling 931-363-3544 or click here.

Leave a Reply